Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lifestyle Of A Scavenger

On my way home from picking up Holly, we saw a mid-morning buzzard gathering. Some of them were working on tearing and ripping into what was left of a deer and a few were perched atop a hay bale with their wings stretched out basking in the warm sun. I was able to run home, grab my camera and come back to get a few shots. When I got out of my car, they were spooked by me and fluttered around in the air for a few minutes. Finally, they settled down and I was able to get a few shots but of course, the picturesque moment was lost. Here are the few pictures I was able to get.

Basking in the early morning sun


Flocking to another spot after nibbling on a dead Caracas.


The remains of a deer.  A tasty breakfast treat for Scavengers. 


They're not very pretty or graceful to watch but, they sure play an important role in the food chain and keep diseases at bay.





1 comment:

Living Life said...

Great shots!! I love the one of them in mid air! I think they are drying their wings. Other birds are known for doing this as well.