Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Wishing Well Wednesday

I though it would be fun to do a weekly post on making wishes. I'll provide trivia with the words wishing in the questions. First, test your wisdom and then look at the answers. Also, I'll leave my wish for the day and if you have one you'd like to share, then please do so in the comment section. It'll be fun reading everyone's wishes for that week. Once I get a few, I'll post them for everyone to read.

First, let me educate you about wishing wells. According to Wikipedia, wishing well is a term from European folklore to describe wells where it was thought that any spoken wish would be granted. The idea that a wish would be granted came from the idea that water had been placed there as a gift from the gods and was a sacred commodity.

People believed that the guardians of the well would grant them their wish if they paid a price. After uttering the wish, one would drop coins in the well. If the coin were to land 'heads-up,' the wish would be granted. If the coin landed 'heads-down,' the wish would not be granted.

Nowadays, you can find man-made wishing wells or fountains all over. Silly as it may be, it's still exciting for me to throw coins into the "magical waters" while making a wish and hoping that it comes true. I down play it, of course, but I think this ancient idea of making wishes while throwing coins into a fountain of water, sends a thrill through all of us no matter what our age is.

Question for the day: What does Snow White sing into the wishing well?

Answer: The Wishing Well song.......Im wishing for someone to come and find me today......She is wishing for her true love to come and find her

My wish for today is: I wish I had a magical fountain in my yard that people could drop their coins into.

2 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

My wish for this week would be, for the Dear Lord to give me another. I like to keep it simple!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I don't have a wish today. I would throw my coin in and thank God for Brian's safe return from his long business trip!