Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Six, Seven, Eight, Nine

I have some catching up to do.  Now, where was I? The next couple of verses go like this...

On the sixth day of Christmas my true love gave to me
6 Geese A-Laying

6 Geese a-laying represent the six days of the creation


On the seventh day of Christmas my true love gave to me
7 Swans A-Swimming

The swans symbolize the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit -
prophecy, ministry, teaching, exhortation, giving, leading and compassion


On the eighth day of Christmas my true love gave to me
8 Maids A-Milking

The milking maids speak of the eight Beatitudes:  Blessed are the poor in spirit, those who mourn, the meek, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, the merciful, the pure in heart, the peacemakers and those who are persecuted for righteousness's sake


On the ninth day of Christmas my true love gave to me
9 Ladies Dancing

The ladies dancing represent the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit -
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control